Game Progress Route for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom provides a recommended progression through the game. This page aims to deliver and provide players with key points of the game and avoid missing any aspects such as significant Locations and Dungeons, necessary NPCs, needed items and equipment, and more. For a detailed guide, and to find an in-depth walkthrough for completing a Location or Dungeon, please visit the Walkthrough page.
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Game Progress Route
The Great Sky Islands
- Dive into a pool of water with lily pads.
- Find a Steward Construct who will give you hints & guides.
- Travel to the Temple of Time and speak with Rauru.
- Rauru tells you that you need to regain your abilities and complete the shrines.
- Complete the Ukouh Shrine and regain Ultrahand ability.
- Continue to your West and pick up the stone axe from the stump.
- Cut down logs using the axe that you have just picked up to create a bridge.
- Head over to the next shrine: In-Isa Shrine and regain Fuse ability.
- Go Southeast of the shrine to enter the Pondside Cave where you can get Archaic Tunic.
- Defeat your very first Bubbulfrog to get bubbul gem, a collectible item for a side quest.
- Use the cooking station to prepare cooked meals. Preferably one with spicy peppers to combat the cold weather.
- Head into the mining cave where you'll meet a merchant that you can get Zonai charges and Zonai Capsule from.
- Continuing on the path of the cave, you will defeat a Like-Like and continue until you find a bottomless pit to reach Gutanbac Shrine.
- Complete Gutanbac Shrine and get Ascend ability.
- Head back to the Temple of Time where you will get the Recall ability.
- Attempt to open the double door, and then Rauru will speak to you again.
- Rauru tells you that there is a fourth shrine and you must complete it.
- Make your way to the fourth shrine: Nachoya Shrine and receive a Light of Blessing.
- Return to the Temple of Time and exchange the Light of Blessing for a Heart Container in the Goddess Statue.
Your journey in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will begin on the Great Sky Island. This region will teach you mostly the basics of the game, regain Link's four abilities, and access important resources. This region is comprised mostly of the four shrines (mini dungeons) that houses Link's four abilities and main quests to get the story progressing. We recommend looking around in the area and grabbing any resources that you may find, as they may prove to be useful later on. Rauru will be one of the key NPCs that you will meet in this area, and he will serve as your guide in this region.
First, you begin your journey as soon as you land on the water filled with lily pads. From there, make your way to the Temple of Time where you will attempt to open the doors to save Princess Zelda. However, when you try to go inside the temple, Rauru interrupts you and tells you that you must travel to the shrines first to regain Link's abilities. For the story progression, you need to complete the shrines first. For this, you head out to your first shrine: Ukouh Shrine. Follow the path nearby and head down the stairs that will lead you to your first shrine. Once you complete the shrine, you will gain the Ultrahand ability.
Now that you have a new ability, you can head toward the West to find a stone axe currently stuck on a wooden stump. Retrieve it to gather logs, which you can use later on to create a makeshift bridge to cross islands. This will lead you to the second shrine: In-Isa Shrine where you will gain the Fuse ability. Outside the temple, explore the Southeastern part to look for the Pondside Cave. Explore this cave to get to the Archaic Tunic. This is a side quest but you will find a collectible item bubbul gem, by killing one of the Bubbulfrogs. Inside the cave, you will find a pond that you have to cross to progress. You can do this by assembling a raft using logs and fans you can gather in the area.
Once you have crossed, you will find a cooking pot. You can make use of this to cook up some meals that you will be needing. It is recommended to prepare meals with spicy peppers to boost your cold resistance stats before proceeding to the third shrine. Following the path of the cave, you will meet a merchant whom you can get Zonai charges and Zonai capsules from. Make sure that you get everything you can before leaving the area. Continue the path in the cave until you meet a Like-Like monster, this will lead you to Bottomless Cave which serves as an entrance to the third shrine: Gutanbac Shrine. There will be a series of caves here, starting from the Pondside Cave, and next is Mining Cave, Pit Cave, and finally, Bottomless Cave.
As you head deeper into the Pit Cave, you will find yourself in a snowy, colder region. Remember the meals that we mentioned earlier? Now is a good time to consume those. As you climb up, you will find more spicy peppers that you can use for other meals. Follow the path toward the North until you arrive at another cave-like area. You will find an enemy construct here and make use of a fire weapon as it is very weak to that element. Continue exploring the cave until you reach a long root. This root will take you now to Gutanbac Shrine, where you can get the Ascend ability. After completing this shrine, you can now head back to the Temple of Time. Make use of your paraglider to land on top of the temple, and time it right so you will drop on the water surrounding it, and not on the ground.
Now that you have completed the 3 shrines, you will make your way to the Temple of Time, now to attempt to open the doors again. However, Rauru will interrupt you and tells you that you are not fit to open the doors and that there's a fourth shrine that you MUST complete first. You will also find a Light of Blessing that you can exchange for a heart container (this will give the amount of hearts needed to open the door in Temple of Time.) Since you can't open the door yet, you are given the Recall ability, which will prove useful in Link's adventures, including the next shrine.
To go to the fourth shrine, you must travel to the room where Link first awakened. This will take you to the final shrine on the Great Sky Island, The Nachoya Shrine. In this shrine, your ability to use Recall will be put to the test. When you're done with the shrine, you will gain a Light of Blessing. Now that you have what you needed, you can make your way back to the temple once more. Approach the Goddess Statue where you can exchange your Light of Blessing for a Heart Container. This will give you the necessary health needed in order to open the doors.
After a journey of completing shrines and regaining Link's abilities, you will finally be able to open the door and this will trigger cutscenes to play.
Central Hyrule: Lookout Landing
- Go to Lookout Landing and speak with Purah.
- Explore the ruin that fell within Lookout Landing. Approach the Steward Construct that can exchange crystallized charges for Energy Wells.
- Talk to NPC named Addison, holding together an incomplete wooden signage.
- Help him to receive Rupees, a veggie rice ball, and a sleepover ticket.
- Complete the Kyononis Shrine to receive a Zonaite Sword and a Light of Blessing.
- Proceed to the Hyrule Castle and report to Hoz.
- Hoz spots Princess Zelda in the distance, as you both witness her transform into a light and vanish.
- Fast travel back to Lookout Landing and speak with Purah again.
- She tells you that the Skyview Tower needs to be fixed first and asks you to wait and look around a bit.
- Run out the front gate of the town and approach the field with a red substance crawling out of a hole.
- Talk to Daval investigating from the edge of the chasm. You find out that people call it the 'gloom' and that it drains health.
- Walk over to the ruin nearby and discover Jiosin Shrine. Complete the shrine to receive a Hasty Elixir and a Light of Blessing.
- Use Ascend on the nearby large rock to go to the top of the platform. Pick up the rock to discover Korok seeds, a collectible item. Collect fire fruit from the bush.
- Approach the camp nearby and talk to the NPC named Suzuna. She will give you a Tough Elixir consumable item that can increase your defense.
- Pick up a broadsword lying in the camp. They will direct you to Hoz's team for a side quest: Bring Peace to Hyrule Field.
- Defeat all the mobs to receive a Silver Rupee reward (equal to 100 Rupees).
- Tame a horse to travel faster. Do this by sneaking up on a horse, and soothe it.
- Approach Purah at the base of the Skyview Tower. This will trigger a cutscene.
- Receive the Paraglider from Purah, and a new main quest will start: Crisis at Hyrule Castle.
- Go up the Lookout Landing Skyview Tower to update the map and test out the Paraglider.
- Land on the platform and speak with Purah again. This will give you a new main quest: Regional Phenomena, one of the major series of quests and traveling.
- Explore the Central Hyrule and complete Yamiyo Shrine: Throw Combat Training Rewards: Three bomb flowers and a Light of Blessing.
- Proceed to the next one: Ishodag Shrine to learn about the Zonai fan, receive an opal and a Light of Blessing.
- Meet NPC named Impa on a platform next to a campfire. Receive the main quest: Impa and the Geoglyphs and help her fix the Hot Air Balloon.
- Jump down and glide over the geoglyph and look for something that resembles a puddle of water within the area.
- Link will see a vision of Princess Zelda meeting King Rauru and Queen Sonia in a distant past.
- Impa will then interrupt Link and you will get a new main quest: The Dragon's Tears.
After finishing Temple of Time, you saw the Master Sword disappear into a mysterious light. A white dragon appears and rises into the sky, as you hear a voice, and you are sure that it was Princess Zelda's voice saying, "Link, you must find me." Determined to search for clues to the whereabouts of the Princess, you head for the land below you: towards Lookout Landing. Enter the town and look for an NPC named Purah. She informs you of their research efforts and from here, you begin your work with Purah to find Princess Zelda. She asks that you make your way to the Castle and discuss with Captain Hoz your findings.
On your way to the castle, you will see a ruin that has fallen from the sky. You approach the NPC in the area where the ruin fell and interact with the green light. You discover that this is a Steward Construct that can exchange crystallized charges to give you Energy Wells. Moving forward to your journey, you come across an NPC named Addison holding together a wooden sign. Help him to put up the sign and receive 20 Rupees, a veggie rice ball, and a Sleepover Ticket. Next, you will find Kyononis Shrine on your way to the castle. Here, you will enter Combat Training and open a treasure chest to receive Zonaite Sword. At the end of the shrine, you will find an altar to interact with, and it will grant you a Light of Blessing.
While talking to Captain Hoz in the Hyrule Castle, he spots Princess Zelda in the distance where you witness the Princess transform into a light and then vanish in front of you. Determined to find out the location of Princess Zelda, you retrace your steps and go back to Lookout Landing to speak to Purah once again. Purah informs Link that the Sky Tower needs to be repaired first, then get the map data uploaded on the Purah Pad. She invites you to explore Lookout Landing while you wait. Run towards the gate of the Lookout Landing to accept the Hyrule Field Chasm Discovery then talk to the NPC named Daval there. He will tell you what they know of the red substance also called 'gloom'. According to their findings, the gloom makes them weak and lose max health temporarily. Complete the shrine nearby called Jiosin Shrine to receive a Hasty Elixir and a Light of Blessing. Once completed, go up the large rock near the shrine using the Ascend ability. At the top, pick up the rock that you see and you will discover Korok seeds, a collectible item that can be found all over Hyrule. Collect fire fruit from the bush as well.
You will see a nearby friendly camp, where you will talk to an NPC named Suzana. She will hand over a Tough Elixir and will inform you about a side quest involving Hoz, Bring Peace to Hyrule Field. Completing this quest will give you a silver rupee reward (equal to 100 rupees). After the quest, you can attempt to tame a horse by sneaking up on one and using the command soothe. Make sure that you have enough stamina for this, or better yet, have food ready to replenish your stamina. This will make traveling in the Hyrule Kingdom faster. Now, go back to Lookout Landing. The Skyview Tower should be ready.
Approach Purah who's waiting at the base of the Skyview Tower and wait for her to give you the Paraglider which will trigger a new main quest: Crisis at Hyrule Castle. Next, you will go up the Skyview Tower and get the map data uploaded to the Purah Pad. Afterward, land on top of the platform where Purah is waiting for you. She will give you another quest: Regional Phenomena, this marks the beginning of a series of quests to travel around the Hyrule Kingdom. After that, explore the Central Hyrule to discover the shrines in the area. Complete the Yamiyo Shrine & the Ishodag Shrine. Locate the NPC named Impa who's currently waiting next to a campfire with a broken hot air balloon. She will give you a new main quest: Impa and the Geoglyphs. Help her to fix the Hot Air Balloon, and ride it upwards with her.
Now that you have a clear view of the geoglyph from above, she will ask that you examine it closer and tells you to jump down. Next, go look for a puddle of water in the field and then interact with it. This will give Link a vision of Princess Zelda together with King Rauru and Queen Sonia in the past. Impa will then interrupt Link and will give you a new main quest: The Dragon's Tears. From here, you will make your way to the next region: Hebra to investigate the areas troubled by the strange phenomena.
Hebra Region: The Vow of Tulin
- Head to New Serenne Stable, stay the night if you want to, and register a horse if you have one.
- Sinakawak Shrine: Opal reward and a Light of Blessing.
- Continue to travel Northwest to Lindor's Brow Skyview Tower and activate it.
- Lucky Clover Gazette: Complete a side quest Potential Princess Sightings to receive Froggy Armor Set (allows climbing of slippery surfaces).
- Follow the waypoint of Dragon's Tears to see another vision of Princess Zelda in the past.
- Go to Forgotten Temple in the Hebra Mountains.
- Meet Impa outside Mayausiy Shrine.
- Discover the geoglyphs locations marked on the floor map.
- Travel to Makurukis Shrine and make your way toward the Regional Phenomena quest marker on your map.
- Talk to an NPC called Meeshy to get information about Misko's Treasure and other details on legendary outfits.
- Arrive at Flight Range in the Hebra Mountains. Speak to Kaneli.
- Make your way to Rospro Pass Skyview Tower and activate it to reveal the Hebra Mountains.
- Interact with the Goddess Statue to exchange four Light of Blessing into a Heart Container or a Stamina Vessel.
- Do Molli the Fletcher side quest to get 10x Arrow.
- Find Tulin on the platform and speak with Teba and Saki and get a new main quest: Tulin of Rito Village
- Head over to the lodge with 2 bonfires that they pointed out. Hebra Trailhead Lodge and speak to Harth.
- Follow the trail to go to Hebra South Summit Cave.
- Head inside the Cave and speak with Tulin and retrieve Tulin's stolen bow.
- After this, you need to head upwards and go to the Eye of the Storm which is further up.
- On the platform of the Ark, you approach a green light that conceals the source of the blizzard.
- You hear a voice coming from the ark to remove the locks and release the hatch.
- Complete all 5 locks and then go back to the main deck of the Wind Temple.
- Unlock the hatch to begin the boss fight versus the Colgera.
- The snowstorm will be cleared after defeating the boss and the skies of Rito Village will be clear again.
- Tulin and Link will speak to a Rito Warrior who served the first King of Hyrule.
- The Warrior tells Tulin and Link must fight together to fight the Demon King.
- Link receives the Vow of Tulin and this marks the Tulin of Rito Village main quest complete.
- Travel to Wind Temple and glide over to Pikida Stonegrove Skyview Tower and activate it.
- Find a golden horse nearby. It should be easy to spot while you're still in mid-air.
- A geoglyph means there's a Dragon's Tear in the area, make sure to land on top of it to watch another vision of Zelda in the distant past.
- Travel to Snowfield Stable and return the golden horse.
To begin your travel to the Hebra region, make your way to New Serenne Stable. Here, you can choose to stay the night and register a horse if you have one. The next morning, go to a nearby shrine: Sinakawak Shrine where you can get an Opal reward and a Light of Blessing. Continue your path Northwest until you reach Lindor's Brow Skyview Tower and activate it. Following the path to Rito Village, you will first see a tent where Penn and Traysi are working. They will give you a side quest: Potential Princess Sightings, if you complete this set of quests, you will receive a Froggy Armor Set (allows climbing of slippery surfaces.)
In the nearby area, you can also get to one of the Dragon's Tears, so make your way there. A vision of Princess Zelda will be seen again here. Your next stop is the Forgotten Temple located underneath one of the mountains in the Hebra region. Once you get to the location marked on your map, you need to head downwards to find the entrance to the temple. You will meet an NPC named Cado here who tells you that Impa has already gone inside the temple. Go after Impa and eliminate any enemy camps that you see until you get to the Mayausiy Shrine. Impa will be waiting for you where a floor map is drawn. The researchers tell you that the floor map indicates all the Geoglyphs' locations.
Next, travel toward Makurukis Shrine and make your way to the Regional Phenomena quest marker on your map. Following the path you see on the road, you will meet an NPC named Meeshy. She will give you information about Misko's Treasure and details about other legendary outfits. Continue the path that you're on until you reach Flight Range in the Hebra Mountains. Kaneli, a retired leader tells you that their equipment has been badly damaged by the blizzard. From there, make your way to the Rospro Pass Skyview Tower and activate it to reveal the Hebra Mountains. In the town, you will find a Goddess Statue where you can exchange your Light of Blessing for either a Heart Container or a Stamina Vessel. Afterward, you will find children chatting up, follow one of the children who will give you a side quest Molli the Fletcher to get 10x Arrows. Arrows are an extremely valuable resource, you should do quests that give you arrows whenever you get the chance.
On the platform ahead, you will find Tulin having a conversation with Teba and Saki who will give you a main quest: Tulin of Rito Village. At this point, Tulin flies away, and Teba will tell you that they currently do not have any information that can help locate the Princess, but will lead Link to a lodge marked with 2 bonfires to speak to Harth, who may have some information. This lodge is also known as Hebra Trailhead Lodge, where Harth will ask you to look for Tulin and speak with him. Your next step is to go up the mountains and find the entrance to the Hebra South Summit Cave. At the entrance of the cave, you will meet an NPC who tells you that Tulin is further inside the cave together with Gesane gathering food for the village.
Upon meeting Tulin, he informs you that his bow has been stolen and would like your help to get it back. Shoot arrows at the monster flying around to get it back. Next, a group of mobs will drop on the platform. Eliminate all the enemies here and then head upwards in order to go to the Eye of the Storm. Ride the wind current blowing in the area and then glide down to discover a new area: The Wind Temple. Arriving at the main deck of the ark, you approach a green light that conceals the source of the blizzard. You and Tulin hear a voice coming from within asking to remove the locks to release the hatch. After completing all 5 locks on the ark, go back to the main deck.
Unlocking the hatch here will begin the boss fight versus the Colgera. After defeating it, the blizzard will be gone and the skies of Rito Village will be clear once again. A Heart Container will be dropped on the ground of the main deck, pick it up for an extra heart for Link. Later, Tulin and Link will speak with a Rito Warrior who once served the King of Hyrule. The warrior tells Tulin and Link that they must fight together to fight the Demon King. Link will receive an item called Vow of Tulin which allows him to call on the powers of Tulin as he wills. This marks the Tulin of Rito Village main quest as complete.
Next, travel back to the Wind Temple and then dive toward the direction of Pikida Stonegrove Skyview Tower and activate it. On your way down from the tower, you will find a golden horse. The horse should be easy to spot from a distance. You will also notice the formation of a geoglyph so take note of this location to look for the Dragon's Tear. Sneak up on the horse, mount it, and then soothe it. Be very careful with it as you would require a great amount of stamina so make sure that you're ready to replenish when needed. Next, look for the Dragon's Tear, and then another vision of Princess Zelda will be shown to Link.
In the vision, the Demon King becomes stronger with the stone from Queen Sonia, as a Blood Moon is seen rising behind him. Rauru, Sonia, and Princess Zelda escape successfully and the Demon King releases gloom and powerful mobs all over the Hyrule Kingdom. Back in the present time, you travel to Snowfield Stable to return the golden horse. However, the stable keeper asked that you keep the horse instead in hopes to reunite it with the Princess. They also give you a bridle and saddle to go with the golden horse, and this will complete a side quest: Zelda's Golden Horse. Proceed to register the horse and enter a name for it.
Eldin Region: The Vow of Yunobo
- Return to Lookout Landing and talk to Robbie and Josha who wants to investigate the depths.
- Receive Brightbloom seed and 5x Arrow from Josha and receive the main quest: Camera Work in the Depths.
- Look for Purah and she tells you to explore the remaining regions and go to Eldin region next.
- Proceed to the chasm outside and complete the main quest. Return to Josha and receive 5x Zonaite.
- Travel to Woodland Stable. Talk to Penn, Violynne and Mastro. Receive a side quest: Serenade to a Great Fairy.
- Go to Eldin Canyon Skyview Tower.
- Look around the area to spot a Geoglyph and land on the area to look for a Dragon's Tear.
- Go to Bedrock Bistro, then go to Goron City.
- Speak to Yunobo, the leader of the city. This will unlock a new main quest: Yunobo of Goron City.
- Follow them to YunoboCo HQ by riding a cart. Make use of the cooking pot to make fireproof elixirs.
- Upon arriving at the cave, you see a Yunobo [Clearly Not Himself] and you will fight him here.
- Make your way to Death Mountain.
- Complete Sitsum Shrine to receive Mighty Construct Bow & a Light of Blessing.
- Fight the boss Moragia.
- Jump into the Death Mountain Chasm and explore the Depths.
- Approach the Mustis Lightroot to unlock a fast travel location.
- Unlock all 5 locks in the Fire Temple.
- Defeat the Marbled Gohma.
- Yunobo will touch a stone to speak with a Sage of Fire. He will now entrust this stone to Yunobo.
- Receive the Vow of Yunobo and this marks the main quest Yunobo of Goron City as complete.
- Return to Lookout Landing Skyview Tower and speak with Purah again.
- Speak to Josha to receive a new main quest: A Mystery in the Depths, she will give you a Giant Brightbloom Seed x10 and Arrows x10.
- Fly up the Eldin Canyon Skyview Tower and make your way towards South Akkala Stable.
- Make your way to Ulri Mountain Skyview Tower and help repair it.
- Activate the tower and begin to paraglide toward the next Skyview Tower you see in the distance: Upland Zorana Skyview Tower to start your journey in the Lanayru Region.
Your journey to Eldin Region will begin at Lookout Landing and by talking to Robbie and Josha. Josha, the young scientist wants to investigate the Depths and has asked Link to gather important information. Josha will give you 5x Brightbloom Seed and 5x Arrow for accepting a new main quest: Camera Work in the Depths. Next, look for Purah who is waiting at the platform and will ask you to explore the remaining regions and to go to Eldin next. Proceed to the chasm outside the village, and complete the main quest. After completing you can return to Josha to receive the reward 5x Zonaite.
To begin traveling to Eldin, make your way to the Woodland Stable where you will talk to Penn, Violynne, and Mastro to give you a side quest: Serenade to a Great Fairy. Take the band uphill using a wood carriage and after completing this quest, the Great Fairy will come out and will enhance outfits for Link. She will then reveal the locations of the Great Fairies. Next, go to Eldin Canyon Skyview Tower where you will talk to an NPC named Sawson. He will inform you that the door leading to the tower is currently broken and that you have to look for another way to get inside. To do this, watch out for falling rocks within the area, go on top of it, and use the Recall to make it float back into the sky. Once you get to the peak, you can glide on top of the Skyview Tower. Upon landing, activate the tower from the inside.
While gliding, look around the area until you spot the Geoglyph and glide towards that area, then look for a Dragon's Tear. The vision will show Princess Zelda, Rauru, and Mineru, where they try to help the Princess find her way back to the present time. After the vision ends, make a stop at Bedrock Bistro and then head toward Goron City. Look for Yunobo, the leader of the city and this will unlock a new main quest: Yunobo of Goron City. Follow them to YunoboHQ by riding a cart and making use of the cooking pot in the area to make Fireproof Elixirs. When you get to the cave, you will see Yunobo [Clearly Not Himself] and you will fight him here. Once his mask is removed, he explains that he can see Princess Zelda and has asked Link to help him locate the Princess. He last saw the Princess at Death Mountain so you make your way there.
Complete the Sitsum Shrine on your way there to receive a Might Construct Bow and a Light of Blessing. Next, you will encounter the boss Moragia, then jump into the Death Mountain Chasm and explore the Depths. Beware of the gloom when you're exploring the area and make your way to the Mustis Lightroot to unlock a fast travel point. To progress, unlock all 5 locks in the Fire Temple and then fight the Marbled Gohma. After defeating the boss, Yunobo will touch a stone to speak with the Sage of Fire. He will now entrust the stone to Yunobo and accept the duty to fight with Link and save the Hyrule Kingdom. You will receive the Vow of Yunobo and this marks the main quest Yunobo of Goron City as complete.
Return to Lookout Landing and speak to Purah once more. She informs you that there must be a connection between Princess Zelda and the Upheaval, and to continue investigating the other regions as well. Next, speak to Josha to receive a new main quest: A Mystery in the Depths, and she will give you 10x Brightbloom Seed and 10x Arrows. Fast travel to Eldin Canyon Skyview Tower and make your way towards South Akkala Stable, from there, you head toward the Ulri Mountain Skyview Tower and help repair it. Activate the tower and begin to paraglide toward the next Skyview Tower that you see in the distance: Upland Zorana Skyview Tower.
Lanayru Region: The Vow of Sidon
- As you fly over Lanayru Region, make your way toward Zora's Domain.
- After speaking to the NPC, you will unlock a main quest: The Sludge-Covered Statue.
- Wash away the sludge by throwing a Splash Fruit at the statue.
- Yona invites you to continue your investigation in the region and to look for Sidon.
- Complete Mogawak Shrine for an Opal and Light of Blessing.
- Search for Sidon, the Prince of Zora on Ploymus Mountain.
- Complete these main quests: The Broken Slate, Restoring the Zora Armor, and Clues to the Sky.
- Look for an island that resembles the shape of a fish or the Floating Scales Island.
- While looking at it, fire an arrow aiming at the center of the tear and this will complete the main quest: Clues to the Sky.
- Defeat the Sludge Like boss.
- Head to the East Reservoir Lake.
- Enter the Ancient Zora Waterworks
- Make your way to the altar in the middle and activate it to create a waterfall bridge to the sky island on top of the waterworks.
- Head to Wellsprings Island by jumping into the waterfall. Note: Make sure you equip the Zora armor.
- Make your way up until you reach the Water Temple. You will find Hover Stones, Hydrants, Soldier III blade, and other important resources on your way up.
- Navigate the Water Temple and unlock the Four Faucets to turn on the water.
- Defeat Mucktorok Boss.
- Sidon and Link will speak to a Zora warrior after touching the stone. He will ask Yunobo to fight alongside Link to defeat the Demon King.
- Head back to the Zora Domain.
- Link will receive the Vow of Sidon and this marks the main quest: Sidon of the Zora complete.
- Head to Upland Zorana Skyview Tower to land on top of a geoglyph, and locate a Dragon's Tear.
- Head to the East Akkala Plains Chasm, where an Obsidian Frox is waiting at the bottom.
- You can try to fight this monster or make your way toward the Akinatanis Lightroot to unlock a fast travel point.
- Explore another Ui-Ihcoj Lightroot and make your way to the temple-like structure behind this lightroot.
- Use the Ascend ability where you will fight a Yiga blademaster.
- Look for Konba in one of the houses and he will give you a Yiga armor. Then, look for a treasure chest in the same house to get Travel Medallion Prototype.
- Travel back to Lookout Landing then Purah will ask you to continue investigating the other regions.
- Travel to the Depths and search for the Koradat Lightroot.
- Go to Kawatik Lightroot and search for the Great Abandoned Central Mine Location.
- Unlock the nearby Iayusus Lightroot and Nihcayam Lightroot.
- Talk to the Researcher and Steward Construct in the Central Mine to gain the Autobuild ability.
- Finish the task and then Kohga and his underlings will appear.
- Defeat Master Kohga, the leader of the Yiga Clan. Open the treasure chest to receive a Huge Crystallized Charge, and receive Schema Stone from the Steward Construct.
- Return to Lookout Landing and speak to Josha.
- Travel to Thyphlo Ruins Skyview Tower.
- Activate the tower then glide over to a geoglyph location. Locate the Dragon's Tear.
After activating Upland Zorana Skyview Tower, use Turin's ability and paraglide toward the direction of Zora's Domain. Upon arriving, you will notice the sludge covering the ground and many more falling from the skies. After speaking to the NPCs gathered in the area, you will receive a new main quest: The Sludge-Covered Statue. This will require you to wash away the sludge covering the statue by throwing a Splash Fruit at the statue. Speak to Yona, one of the NPCs and she will invite you to continue your investigation in the region and to seek Sidon.
Locate the Mogawak Shrine and complete it to receive an Opal and a Light of Blessing. Then, continue to look for Sidon, the Prince of Zora who's currently at Ploymus Mountain. You find out that he's continuously using his powers to cleanse the water that falls freely on Zora Domain. He asks that you look for an island that resembles the shape of a fish, also known as Floating Scales Island. Complete the main quests in the area: Restoring the Zora Armor, The Broken Slate, and Clues to the Sky.
Once you get to the top of the island, you will cleanse the sludge in the area and look for a rock that resembles the shape of a droplet. You will shoot your arrow through the center of the tear to complete the main quest: Clues to the Sky. A boss will appear and you must defeat Sludge Like. Next, you must make your way to the East Reservoir Lake together with Sidon. Make your way to the Ancient Zora Waterworks and interact with the altar in the middle of the area. This will activate a waterfall bridge that will serve as your pathway to the sky island on top. Continue to Wellsprings Island by jumping into the waterfall. Make sure that you are wearing the Zora armor if you have it already. If not, then you can visit this walkthrough on how to get it.
Continue going upwards until you reach the Water Temple. You will find Hover Stones, Hydrans, Soldier III Blade, and other important resources on your way to the top. Navigate the Water Temple and unlock the Four Faucets to turn on the water. Next, defeat the Mucktorok Boss. Afterwards, Sidon will touch a stone and an ancient Zora Warrior will speak to both Sidon and Link. The warrior will entrust his pledge to Sidon, and Link will receive the Vow of Sidon. This will mark the main quest: Sidon of the Zora complete.
Next, continue your journey by returning to Upland Zorana Skyview Tower, riding to the top, and then landing on a nearby geoglyph. Locate the Dragon's Tear to see a vision of Princess Zelda together with the leader of the villages with Rauru and Sonia. You will see each of the leaders receive a secret stone from King Rauru that will aid them in their fight against the Demon King. Continue to travel by going to the East Akkala Plains Chasm where an Obsidian Frox is guarding the area.
It's up to you whether you want to fight the monster or avoid it for now. Then make your way toward the Akinatanis Lightroot then unlock the fast travel point. Your next destination would be the nearby Ui-Ihcoj Lightroot and then you will make your way to the temple-like location on the shrine. Use the Ascend ability and once you reach the top, you will fight a Yiga Blademaster. Look for Konba in one of the houses and he will give you a Yiga armor, then look for a treasure chest to receive a Travel Medallion Prototype.
Travel again to Lookout Landing Skyview Tower and Purah will once again ask you to continue your investigations. Travel to the Depths again and look for the Koradat Lightroot, then Kawatik Lightroot. Then, make your way to the Abandoned Central Mine Location then speak to the NPCs there to unlock the Autobuild ability. Finish the task and then Master Kohga and his underlings will appear. Defeat the leader of the Yiga clan and then he will flee. Open the treasure chest to receive a Huge Crystallized Charge, and a Schema Stone from the Steward Construct. Then, return to Lookout Landing and speak to Josha once again.
Next, make your way to the Thyphlo Ruins Skyview Tower. Fix the tower by moving the rock platform blocking it. You can do this by attaching a Zonai fan to push it out of the way. Then, activate the tower to paraglide towards the next geoglyph location. Then, look for the Dragon's Tear. This will show Link a vision of Princess Zelda's moment when she chose her fate and her determination to save the Hyrule Kingdom.
The Master Sword
- Go to Eknupnup and Rikonasum Lightroot.
- Proceed to the surface by using the Ascend ability in the temple-like structure with 4 pillars.
- Reach Korok Forest where you will find the Deku Tree.
- Complete Musanokir Shrine and receive a Large Zonai Charge and Light of Blessing.
- Explore Deku Tree Chasm. Defeat the handful of enemies waiting and then Phantom Ganon will appear.
- Speak to Chio, and head to the Great Deku Tree.
- The Deku Tree will tell you the location of the Master Sword.
- Travel to Lookout Landing and explore the Emergency Shelter located underground by speaking to an NPC.
- New Side Quest: "Who goes there?" Explore the Royal Passage and find a statue to receive a Stamina Vessel. You will need this for the Master Sword.
- Go to the Goddess Statue in the Emergency Shelter and exchange your Light of Blessing for another Stamina Vessel. You will need 2 full rings of stamina.
- Travel to In-Isa Shrine and look around the vantage point. Locate the flying dragon and land on it. While mid-air, locate and pin the geoglyph that you see.
- Grab the Master Sword that's currently stuck on the head of the Dragon. Cutscene of Princess Zelda showing with the Master Sword.
- This will mark Recovering the Hero's Sword main quest as complete.
- Travel to Musanokir Shrine and speak with The Great Deku Tree.
To begin your journey to recover the Master Sword, you must travel to the Depths and unlock Eknupnup and Rikonasum Lightroots. This will help secure checkpoints that you can use for your journey later. Then, make your way to the temple-like structure with 4 pillars. Use the Ascend ability to go up the ground in Korok Forest where you will find the Great Deku Tree. Talking to the NPCs here will not give any dialogues and the gloom is noticeable and has affected the entire area.
Complete the nearby Musanokir Shrine to receive a Large Zonai Charge and a Light of Blessing. Then, proceed to explore the Deku Tree Chasm and jump down into the Depths. Defeat the handful of enemies waiting at the bottom, and then Phantom Ganon will appear. One of the strengths of this boss is his swift attacks, so be wary of those and be always ready to dodge and initiate counterattacks. After defeating Phantom Ganon, the gloom will be cleared and you can travel back to the surface. Finally, speak to Chio waiting by the entrance and they will ask you to speak to the Great Deku Tree by climbing the big root behind them.
While talking to the Great Deku Tree, it will inform you of the whereabouts of the Master Sword and its location will be tracked on your map. They will point out that it appears to be moving, and they assure Link that they feel the Master Sword's presence there. Continuing your search, you travel to Lookout Landing and explore the Emergency Shelter located underground by talking to an NPC. A new side quest will be unlocked: "Who Goes There?" Explore the Royal Passage and find a statue to receive a Stamina Vessel. You will need this in your journey for the Master Sword. Then, this will complete the side quest. Next, locate the Goddess Statue within the shelter and exchange your Light of Blessing for another Stamina Vessel. You will be needing 2 full rings of stamina to retrieve the Master Sword.
Next, travel to the In-Isa shrine and use this high ground to jump off and paraglide toward the flying dragon that you see in the distance. Land on top of it and try to locate the geoglyph within the area and place a pin on your map for later. Next, grab the Master Sword that's currently stuck on the head of the dragon. This will trigger a cutscene and after pulling out the sword, this will mark the Recovering the Hero's Sword main quest as complete. Then, fast travel to Musanokir Shrine to speak with the Great Deku Tree again.
Gerudo Region: The Vow of Riju
- Go to Makurukis Shrine and visit Tabantha Bridge Stable.
- Make your way to Gerudo Canyon Skyview Tower.
- Paraglide to the Geoglyph and locate the Dragon's Tear.
- Find Gerudo Highlands Skyview Tower. Read the note on the table.
- Explore Meadela's Mantle Cave.
- Make your way to Gerudo Desert Gateway by following the main path.
- Complete Mayatat Shrine to receive 10x Arrows and a Light of Blessing.
- Go to Kara Kara Bazaar.
- Travel to The Gerudo Town.
- Talk to Riju, Chief of the Gerudo. This will unlock a new main quest: Riju of Gerudo Town.
- Complete the training and help defeat the Gibdos attacking the town.
- Enter the Gerudo Shelter.
- Prepare for battle and help defend Gerudo Town.
- Destroy the Gibdo Hives.
- Solve the riddle in the mural.
- Fight Queen Gibdo.
- Navigate the Lightning Temple.
- Charge all Four Batteries.
- Defeat Queen Gibdo for the second time.
- Pick up the Heart Container.
- Link will receive the Vow of Riju.
- Return to Gerudo Town.
- This marks the main quest Riju of Gerudo Town as complete.
Following the investigations on the other regions, make your way to the Makurukis Shrine and visit Tabantha Bridge. Complete the shrine to receive a Strong Construct Bow and a Light of Blessing. Travel to Gerudo Canyon Skyview Tower and speak to an NPC named Sawson waiting at the tower. He will ask for your help to fix the tower. You can do this by attaching the boxes as a counterweight, and that should fix the elevator. Next, locate the geoglyph while mid-air and locate the Dragon's Tear. This will show a vision of Ganondorf, the leader of the Gerudo swearing fealty to the then King Rauru. The Princess doubts the intentions of the Gerudo, but the King reassures her.
Continuing your path, head towards the Gerudo Highlands Skyview Tower and read the note. Explore the cave nearby and follow the path towards Gerudo Desert Gateway. You can make a stop at the Gerudo Canyon Stable, where you can rent a sand seal to make traveling in the desert faster. Complete the Mayatat Shrine to receive 10x Arrow and a Light of Blessing. Make a stop at the Kara Kara Bazaar then travel to Gerudo Town where you will meet Riju. Upon talking to Riju, she tells you of the troubles in the Gerudo and as the chief of the town, she asks for help to eliminate the sand shroud covering their city. This will unlock a main quest: Riju of Gerudo Town. Help them in the fight, and complete the training by defeating the Gibdos attacking.
More enemies will show up, and Riju will ask to prepare for battle and to defend the town once more. This time, you will be looking to destroy the Gibdo hives where the monsters seem to be coming from. Afterward, Riju will ask you to come to the underground shelter and follow the yellow marker on the map. This will take you to a mural puzzle that needs to be solved. Then, after solving the mural puzzle a boss, Queen Gibdo will appear. The fight will be short, as she will be running away after you deal 30% of the damage to her health. Riju asks that you return to Gerudo Town and there, you will locate the Lightning Temple.
In order to charge up the temple, you will need to locate the 4 batteries and power them up. After doing so, Queen Gibdo reappears again for a rematch but she will be stronger this time. After defeating the boss, pick up the Heart Container and Riju will be speaking to an ancient warrior who will share the story of the Imprisoning War. The war in which, all the leaders of the villages and King Rauru fought against the Demon King. She tells of the story where the King commits the ultimate sacrifice by imprisoning the Demon King. Then, the warrior entrusts her pledge to her descendant, and Link will receive the Vow of Riju, allowing Link to use her ability whenever he needs it. Return once more to Gerudo Town and this will mark the main quest: Riju of Gerudo Town as complete.
The Fifth Sage: The Vow of Mineru
- Travel to Lookout Landing and speak to Purah.
- This will mark Regional Phenomena complete.
- Purah spots Princess Zelda in Hyrule Castle and will ask Link to rescue her.
- Look for the Dragon's Tear in the nearby geoglyph.
- Travel to Hateno Ancient Tech Lab
- Head toward the geoglyph location and look for the Dragon's Tear.
- Zelda transforms into the White Dragon and keeps guard of the Master Sword. This marks the Dragon's Tears main quest complete.
- Travel to Sahasra Slope Skyview Tower.
- Solve Makasura Shrine to receive Fairy Tonic and a Light of Blessing.
- Speak to Dorian of Kakariko Village.
- Speak to Paya, Chief of Kakariko Village.
- Return to Lookout Landing to convene with Purah and the leaders.
- Travel to Hyrule Castle by paragliding after using the Skyview Tower in Lookout Landing.
- A voice can be heard calling out to Link. A vision of Princess Zelda leads Link to enter the castle.
- Proceed to Sanctum, the main entrance of the Castle.
- Fight Phantom Ganon.
- Pickup Heart Container.
- Ganondorf appears before Link and the village leaders.
- Return to Lookout Landing to unlock a new main quest: Find the Fifth Sage.
- Return to Kakariko Village.
- Receive the quest from Tauro: Secret of the Ring Ruins.
- Complete Presenting Sensor+ quest from Robbie in the Hateno Village.
- Travel to Popla Foothills Skyview Tower.
- Head to Dracozu Lake towards the South, and talk to Tauro.
- Look for the chest to get Charged Shirt. Look for the rest of the treasure to find the other pieces of the Charged set.
- Go to the part of the river that resembles a "tail". Trace the river going Southwest.
- You will find another chamber when you get to the tail. Offer a Zonai Charge at the altar to trigger a cutscene that will reveal The Thunderhead Isles in the sky.
- Locate the hidden facility in the Depths of Thunderhead Isles and seek Mineru.
- Mineru asks you to assemble a physical body for her so she can speak with Link.
- Assemble the body by visiting the four depots.
- After constructing the physical body, make your way to the Spirit Temple and recover Mineru's Secret Stone.
- Fight the Seized Construct.
- Pick up the Heart Container after defeating the boss.
- Mineru will speak to Link and will offer him the Vow of Mineru to aid Link in his fight against the Demon King.
- This will complete Guidance from Ages Past.
After convening with Purah and the leaders, everyone comes to the conclusion that a Fifth Sage must be found. Purah notices a vision of the Princess in the distance, and will ask Link to rescue her. After the discussion, this will mark the main quest Regional Phenomena complete and a new quest will be triggered: Find the Fifth Sage. There is very little information regarding the location and only given the details about Age of Legends. To begin your journey, head towards the Dragon's Tear that you spotted earlier. This will show another vision of Demon King making his first move to attack the kingdom. Then King Rauru defends the kingdom for now.
Your next destination is the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab, where you will locate another geoglyph and the Dragon's Tear. This time, the vision will show the Demon King stealing the secret stone from Queen Sonia and Princess Zelda's resolve to keep guard of the Master Sword. Upon collecting all of the Dragon's Tears, this will mark the main quest: The Dragon's Tear as complete. Next, travel to Sahasra Slope Skyview Tower and complete Makasura Shrine to receive a Fairy Tonic and a Light of Blessing. Travel to Kakariko Village where they will speak to you about the mysterious rings in the area. Then, speak to Paya, Chief of Kakariko Village. They will ask you to return to Lookout Landing and discuss the information with Purah.
Purah is convinced that you have to seek the Princess in the Hyrule Castle, and a voice will call out to Link, and a vision of Princess Zelda will lead Link further into the castle. From the sanctum, you will go towards the main entrance of the castle where the real identity of the vision is revealed before Link. Phantom Ganon appears in place of the Princess, and Link must defeat him. A Heart Container is dropped as the boss is defeated. Report your findings again to Purah, and she will now give you a new main quest: Find the Fifth Sage. For this, you return to Kakariko Village and Tauro will give you another main quest: Secret of the Ring Ruins. Locate Robbie in the Hateno Village to get another quest Presenting Sensor+. This will unlock another feature for the Purah Pad that will allow you to track all of the shrines.
Travel to Popla Foothills Skyview Tower and make your way to Dracozu Lake towards the South, and speak to Tauro. He will ask that you look for the Charged Shirt, and seek the other treasures to get other pieces of the Charged Set that you will be needing for the succeeding quests. Go to the part of the river that resembles a tail, and trace the same river going Southwest. When you get to the tail, you will find a chamber there. Offer a Zonai Charge at the altar to trigger a cutscene that will reveal the Thunderhead Isles in the sky. Now, what you have to do is locate the hidden facility in the Thunderhead Isles and seek Mineru there.
You find Mineru in a state where she's unable to return to a physical body, she would ask that you assemble a body for her so she can aid you in the fight. Do this by visiting the four depots in the area, and after constructing the body, she will lead you to the Spirit Temple to recover Mineru's Secret Stone. When you get there, you will fight a Seized Construct and receive a Heart Container afterward. Upon retrieving the stone, Mineru will speak directly with Link and will offer him the Vow of Mineru to aid him in his fight against the Demon King. This will mark Guidance from the Ages Past complete.
Defeat the Demon King
- Return to Lookout Landing and speak to Purah about your meeting with the Sage of Spirit.
- This will trigger a new main quest: Destroy Ganondorf.
- Travel to Serutabomac Shrine where you will make your way to Hyrule Castle B2.
- Continue deeper into the castle until you make your way to the chasm.
- Fight the enemies that you encounter.
- Progress through the chasm until you reach the Forgotten Foundation area of the ruins.
- There will be enemies defending this area so be prepared for fights.
- Locate the Mural where Link and Princess Zelda separated and find your way to the Imprisoning Chamber.
- Drop down the chasm and continue to Gloom's Lair.
- Prepare yourself for the final battle with Ganondorf.
- Drop further down the chasm until a cutscene plays.
- Defeat the Demon King's Army together with the help of the sages.
- Proceed further into the Gloom's Lair and destroy Demon King Ganondorf.
- The main quest Destroy Ganondorf will be marked as complete and Link will be reunited with Princess Zelda.
After recovering Mineru's secret stone, return to Lookout Landing and speak to Purah about your fateful meeting with the Sage of Spirit. She will give you a main quest: Destroy Ganondorf. In the hopes to defeat the Demon King once and for all. You travel to Serutabomac Shrine, and make your way to Hyrule Castle B2. Continue deeper into the castle until you reach the chasm. Fight the enemies that you encounter and progress deep further into the chasm until you reach the Forgotten Foundation. Multiple enemies will be standing guard in this area so be prepared for fights. A good way is to always be ready with prepared meals and make use of all the sages' skills.
In the deeper depths, you will find the Mural where Link and Princess Zelda got separated, and you continue your way to the Imprisoning Chamber. Drop down again into the chasm and continue your path to Gloom's Lair. This is where you will fight Ganondorf and you must prepare for this. Make another dive into the chasm, and once you reach the deepest of the depths, a cutscene will play. The sages will join you in this final battle where you defeat the Demon King's army first. Then, Demon King Ganondorf will stand before Link and all the sages, and they will successfully destroy him this time. The main quest Destroy Ganondorf will be marked as complete and Link will be reunited with Princess Zelda.
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom In-Game Collectibles
If you have played Breath of the Wild before, then you are probably familiar with Korok Seeds. These are in-game collectibles that you will come across during your journey in the Hyrule Kingdom. Aside from that, we are also getting another in-game collectible: The Bubbul Gems, which are items dropped by Bubbulfrogs when defeated. If you are keen on getting 100% completion of the game, make sure to collect these 2 kinds of drops during your adventures as Link in Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Read more about these in-game collectibles below.
What are Korok Seeds in Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom?
Similar to the predecessor game, Korok Seeds are well-hidden all over the map. You will find them in the Sky and Surface Islands. Our data collected so far shows that there are no seeds found in the depths, yet. When collecting these seeds, the game will ask you to solve a mini puzzle. These can range from a simple task such as interacting with a rock or helping out Koroks in exchange for a seed. There are over 14 puzzle types that we have discovered so far. In the previous game, our records show that there are over 900 seeds located, and while the list is still a work in progress, you will find here eventually the full list of all Korok Seeds and other details. We are expecting that there will be about 900 seeds or more in Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
What are Bubbul Gems in Zelda: TotK?
Bubbul Gems are new to Zelda games. These are in-game collectibles that you can pick up from a wildlife creature called Bubbulfrogs. To start looking for Bubbul Gems, you must first do a side quest called: The Hunt for Bubbul Gems, you will need to speak with Kilton and Koltin to begin this side quest and from there, the game will invite you to collect more of the item. These Bubbul Gems can be used to trade for armor and materials and just like the Korok Seeds, they can be located in the Surface and Sky Islands. One of the distinct things about the said gems is the noise they make when close by. So they are pretty hard to miss!